Sunday, October 11, 2020

What am I here for? We'll start with the Beetle.

 I'm Elisabeth. I was challenged to start a blog, so I decided to focus on my interest in cars. My mom has often joked that my first words might as well have been, "Ooh, pretty car!" I remember spotting every Corvette I could when we would drive through the big city, and fawning over them. I had a keen eye for the VW Beetles and loved to play the "slug-bug" game, even though mom forbade the slugging.  As siblings, we still got too competitive anyways and eventually weren't allowed to play.

I started eyeing anything unique or interesting on the road with us. I began trying to make note of the make and model, but without a badge, I didn't really know. My parents and siblings weren't interested in cars quite like me, so my interest developed slowly and quietly on its own. I was seventeen when I bought my 1970 Volkswagen Beetle. It only took two trips to the local hippy VW repair shop for me to decide that I was going to learn to maintain my car myself. 

I got myself a Hane's manual and some basic tools. Through this, I learned to change my own oil, replace my spark plugs, plug wires, points, rotor and cap, etc. I got it all done and learned at a snail's pace, but learned how nonetheless. My biggest undertaking was replacing the generator when it failed, and that was one hell of a job. 

I was twenty-five when Matt and I encountered one another at our mutual friends Birthday party. I had been having bad luck with the Bug. One thing after another was failing and daily driving was showing its toll. I had picked up the Bug from a shop that repaired my failing gas gauge with a used one that still worked. I took it straight to a gas station and my emergency brake cable snapped when I engaged it. Matt offered to replace it for me after my car woes had come up in conversation. 

I took him up on the offer. This was one another item that was not well covered in the Hane's manual and required a level of finesse I knew I lacked. Matt and I exchanged numbers and set up a time for me to bring my car to his house for him to fix it. He fixed it easily in a couple hours and I hung out with him and lent the occasional hand during the process. We got along really well and it was easy to talk to him. 

I was surprised when Matt refused to accept money for his time. I was really insistent. But when he walked me to my car and asked me to dinner, it finally made sense. I didn't know it, but it was the start of the best relationship I've ever had. And, not to mention, the best and most thorough care my Bug had ever seen! We upgraded oils, and additives and she ran better than she had in ages. 

Unfortunately, the Bug had also seen its fair share of wear and tear. In near mint condition when I bought it, it was in rough shape when I finally parked it a couple years later. Even though we improved how it ran for a while, two cylinders were losing compression, and then metal shavings and pieces came out in the oil change. The time had come to cease driving it. 

Matt and I have since gotten married and made a lot of changes to our lives. However, my indecision has left the Bug awkwardly parked in a corner waiting for an engine upgrade. The issue is too many options. I want the Bug to have more power than before, but with more power it will require more suspension upgrades and modifications. I want to try to keep the original style and factory look; however, lowering it may be necessary depending upon what ends up under the deck lid. 

Matt and I have talked about the option of putting a Subaru engine into it, but then there's the dilemma of sorting out a liquid cooling system for a car that is not designed for one, and many more modifications. We've discussed Porsche and other VW engine options and find a lot of similar issues. I find myself going back to the new versions of the air-cooled engines that have been manufactured in the last twenty years or so. They're lighter, more powerful and easier to add top end upgrades to as well as still be air-cooled. I find myself leaning toward the air-cooled upgrade. 

In the meantime, my husband and I make some sculptures and yard art, table decorations and items for everyday use from broken and used parts that are otherwise scrap. Next post, I'll share some of the stuff we did for our wedding decorations after we decided to have an automotive-themed reception. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

1985 Merkur XR4TI

  The Merkur XR4TI is one of the more interesting and easily one of the more confusing 80’s, small block, high horsepower engine cars that y...